Visas for Indonesia

The visa system for Indonesia is notoriously complicated, and policies and procedures may vary across different regions, which often leads to confusion.

In general, visitors to Indonesia require a visa. Whether applicants can obtain a visa on arrival or need to apply before travelling to Indonesia will depend on their nationality. Those wishing to live and work in Indonesia for an extended period of time will need to obtain a residence permit.

Before venturing to another country, make sure you have a health insurance plan you can rely on. Our international health insurance plans offer comprehensive health cover for when you are in your home country and abroad.

Foreign nationals visiting Indonesia on holiday will need a tourist visa. Some nationalities are eligible for a visa on arrival, which allows a 30-day-long stay. Visas obtained by applying in advance are valid for a stay of up to three months. Both kinds of tourist visas can be extended at immigration offices in Indonesia.

Those obtaining a visa on arrival cannot conduct any form of business or volunteering. Visitors who intend on visiting Indonesia for business reasons or even to do a short volunteer placement will need to apply at the Indonesian embassy in their home country prior to travel.


Limited stay permits

Expats staying in Indonesia for longer than three months need to obtain a limited stay permit known as an ITAS (Izin Tinggal Terbatas). The ITAS requires a sponsor – most expats will have their employer acting as a sponsor. The permit is valid for six to 12 months for expats with a job in Indonesia. The ITAS can subsequently be renewed for the same period it was initially granted for, up to a total of four renewals.


Permanent stay permits

The Indonesian permanent residency permit is called the KITAP (Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap). Expats can apply for permanent residency after they have lived in Indonesia for five years on an ITAS. However, if expats are married to an Indonesian national they will be able to apply for the KITAP after two years.

Expats wanting to work in Indonesia will need to secure employment and obtain a residence- and work permit before arriving in the country. The process for acquiring a work permit can be difficult as the rules change frequently. Generally, however, the employer acts as the sponsor for the work permit and will undertake much of the application process on the employee’s behalf.

There are restrictions on the hiring of foreign workers in Indonesia and companies can only employ a certain number of expats, and can only employ foreigners who have skills that Indonesians currently don't have.

The company will need to gain approval from the Ministry of Manpower and will have to submit an application for an ITAS for their new employee, which will allow them entry into the country. The ITAS acts both as a residency and a work permit and allows a stay of between six and 12 months, depending on what is stipulated in the employment contract. After five years, expats can apply for permanent residency in the form of a KITAP.