Visas for Sweden

EU citizens and nationals of Nordic countries can visit, reside and work in Sweden without applying for a visa. Nationals of other countries will generally need to apply for a visa in order to visit or live in Sweden.
Before venturing to another country, make sure you have a health insurance plan you can rely on. Our international health insurance plans offer comprehensive health cover for when you are in your home country and abroad.

Some countries have agreements with Sweden allowing visa-free entry for tourists. Expats who aren’t eligible for visa-free entry will need to apply for a Schengen Visa to visit Sweden. This visa allows the holder to stay in Sweden for up to 90 days within a six-month period.

Applicants will need to show that they have a valid onward ticket, sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay, and travel insurance to cover any costs that may arise during their stay. The Schengen Visa can also be used to visit any other country that is part of the Schengen agreement.

Expats between the ages of 18 and 30 may be eligible for a one-year working holiday visa for Sweden. Only a handful of countries are signatory to this agreement, including Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea and Hong Kong. Applicants must be able to show access to adequate funds to maintain themselves initially, as well as proof of medical insurance.

To stay in Sweden for longer than 90 days, a residence permit is required.

EU and EEA citizens won’t need a residence or work permit, but they will need to register themselves with the Swedish Tax Agency upon arrival and receive a personnummer, which they will need if living and working in Sweden long term.

On the other hand, non-EU citizens will generally need to apply for a residence permit for Sweden before entering the country.

Temporary residence permits do not give the holder the right to work in Sweden; a work permit must be applied for separately. However, once an expat has lived in Sweden for five years, they can apply for permanent residence which allows them to live and work in the country indefinitely.

Non-EU and non-EEA citizens will need a work permit to legally work in Sweden. To apply, a firm job offer is needed. It can be difficult to find a Swedish employer willing to go through the work permit application process, unless they are unable to find a local or an EU/EEA citizen to fill the position. However, there are several trades that are lacking in expertise, and this is where new expats can find their niche.

Applying for a work permit

Expats wanting to work in Sweden should apply for a work permit before they arrive in the country.

Work permit applicants will first need an offer of employment from a company in Sweden. Before the work permit application can be submitted, the Swedish employer must obtain approval from the authorities. The written offer should contain details about the expat’s role in the company, the salary they will be earning and how long they will be employed in Sweden.

Following this, expats can submit their application for a Swedish work permit. This can be done online or at a local Swedish embassy. Expats will need to show proof that they have arranged accommodation in Sweden in order for the permit to be approved.

It is important to note that once a work permit has been granted, it is only valid for the profession stipulated in the job offer and for that specific employer. Expats needing to renew their work permit can do so at a Swedish Migration Agency.