Looking back from the future
Where will you find fulfilment in life and as an expat?
A great activity to help you think about this is to stand in the future and look back. A couple of suggestions to try are below. You might want to do this as a written activity, one that you reflect on and add over several days.
· Looking back to your life as a whole
Imagine you are 90 and you’ve lived a life you’ve found really fulfilling. Reflect on the following questions.:
– What specifically brought you fulfilment?
– What was it along the way that stood out for you?
– What are the things that made you most proud?
– What did you learn and grow most from?
– How have you made a positive difference to something or someone else?
What key sources of meaning emerge for you?
Now think about what you can act on at the present time and immediate future to help ensure those sources of meaning in your life are actively nurtured.
· Looking back to your current expat assignment
You can bring this activity a bit closer in time to help you think specifically about your current expat assignment. For example, imagine you’ve come to the end of your assignment and you are about to move on. Ask yourself the questions above to proactively think about the ingredients that will make your time as an expat meaningful and fulfilling.